POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : water surface (~50k jpg) : Re: water surface (~50k jpg) Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: water surface (~50k jpg)
From: Ross Litscher
Date: 8 Apr 2004 14:13:59
Message: <40759667@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:

> In article <40757b9a@news.povray.org>,
>  Ross Litscher <rli### [at] everestkcnet> wrote:
>
>> it was going to be a scene of a "water moving facility" with down-trodden
>> slaves doing nothing but endlessly pushing water through for no apparent
>> reason. but i digress. it wouldnt be hard to smooth this out a little to
>> make it less "active" so to speak.
>
> Your description reminds me of the fictional Pacific island (based on
> Sri Lanka) that was described in Arthur C. Clarke's book The Fountains
> of Paradise. The local king/warlord had a bunch of pleasure gardens
> built, along with some large fountains fed from a cistern on a mountain.
> To keep the fountains going, he had hundreds of slaves continually
> carrying water up to the cistern.

Interesting :) I've heard of the book, but never knew what it was about. For
this scene, i got stuck on the waterfall part that was supposed to be at
the near end, but isn't. I thought about doing tiny blobs, but how to do a
nice "fade" between the top surface heightfield and the droplets, i don't
know. H.E. Day had an amazing waterfall a few years back... maybe it's time
to search to see if he posted code.